Tuesday, April 4, 2017

TV THEN

by LaRue Watts

I miss TV from days gone by.
When I was just a sprout.
Permit me now, to tell you why
If there was any doubt.....
Sullivan on Sunday night,
Mouseketeers each day,
Everything was black and white
And simpler, I would say.
When Roy and Dale sang "Happy Trails"
I longed to be out west.
My dreams were filled with fairy tales
From Disney at his best.
I laughed at Benny, Gleason, too,
The Nelsons and the Beav
And everything from DesiLu
Was easy to believe.
"I've Got a Secret?" It was fun
To watch the panel guess
And "Wagon Train" had quite a run.
I watched it, I confess.
"To Tell The Truth" and "Surfside Six"
Were others I recall,
It was a rather special mix
Of new shows every fall.
Then, color came and I was game.
The peacock network grew. 
Alas, today, it's not the same
Though beautiful to view.
Reality has now become
My fantasies of yore.
The "Housewives" and "Survivors" numb
And Opie is no more.
Kardashians are now the boss
Of what's on my TV.
But aren't we all at such a loss
From how things used to be?



1 comment:

  1. Yes, LaRue, those were the days.
    Remember when the TV repairman came nearly as often as the mailman?
    You write such great poetry, when will you put it together and publish it? Lore and Walter

    ReplyDelete