Wednesday, August 24, 2016

CORBIN, KANSAS

by LaRue Watts

I grew up in a small town
And wouldn't change a thing.
My childhood never got me down
But made my small heart sing.
On Sundays, when are heads were bowed
We dreamed of heaven's riches.
On rainy days we were allowed
To splash in muddy ditches.
We rode our bikes to school each day
And parked them by the slide.
At recess time we'd swing and play
Or seek the ones who'd hide.
No worries ever troubled us.
We thrived on neighbor's caring.
And so we never made a fuss
Or even lost our bearing.
It was a better day I guess.
I'm sure you had one, too,
Without a sign of sighs or stress
When everything was new?
Then all too soon, we meet some strife
And found ourselves with grief.
It all became a different life,
But it is my belief
That as we grow, our dues are paid
For small town life had worth.
Those Sunday dreams of riches made
It heaven, here on earth.



No comments:

Post a Comment